Most of us will agree that there are few things worse than being struck down with an illness that really knocks the wind out of your sails. It’s like the real you goes off on holidays and you’re left with a pale, rundown version of yourself that you don’t recognize and don’t particularly enjoy having about the place! Prolonged illness, surgery and hospital stays, no matter how short, can really affect the spirits. If someone in your life is currently on R&R after being poorly here are some things you can do to help cheer them up.
- There’s nothing like a good TV box set to help while away the hours while you get your strength back. Find out what sort of TV programmes your friend is a fan of and then pop around to their house or pay a visit in hospital with a couple of box sets in a similar genre.
- Board games are a bit of a blast from the past for most of us these days, but they really are a great way of getting friends and family together. If your friend is feeling up to it, a game of Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit should lift the mood and make a nice change from screen time.
- Audiobooks and podcasts are also a great alternative to screen time. Why not put together a list of podcasts that you’ve really enjoyed and perhaps include the iTunes links so your friend can access them directly. Once energy levels start to return, the downtime can be a great way of catching up on things that we often don’t have time to do or struggle to fit in to our day to day lives.
- If your friend is well enough to get out of the house for a while then a drive out to the beach or the countryside could do them the world of good. The walls can start closing in if you’ve been poorly for a number of weeks and a change of scenery and a little fresh air can really lift the spirits.
- Ever wondered why people often bring flowers when visiting patients in hospital? Well, it’s because research has shown that flowers really do have a positive effect on mood and vibe and can give a lift when someone is feeling a bit low. Flowers and get well soon cards with a cheery message are a really thoughtful way of letting your friend know that you’re thinking of them and that you’re there if they need you.
At Flowercard we have a whole range of get well soon cards with carefully arranged bouquets inside the card itself. Two birds with one stone you might say! Why not take a look and order one for the friend who needs a little cheering up right now.