It's so exciting when a friend or family member gets engaged to the love of their life. An engagement card is a fantastic way of expressing how happy you are for them, especially if you're unable to celebrate together in person. Not sure what to write in an engagement card? There are plenty of engagement quotes and engagement messages to choose from.
The team at Flowercard is happy to offer some ideas, whether you're looking for a message that's heartfelt, humorous, or somewhere in between. They're sure to spark your imagination and help you write a note of your own.
What to Say in an Engagement Card
An engagement card is a great way to convey how happy you are for your loved one, whether they're your friend, sibling, child, or someone else important to you. There are a million different ways to say congratulations, so the length and content of the message should suit the person it's meant for.
If you're writing an engagement message for your son or daughter, for example, it's appropriate to express your pride. When writing a card for a co-worker or your boss, on the other hand, you may want to keep things short and sweet.
When to Send An Engagement Card
Unbeknownst to many, there is an etiquette for sending engagement cards. The proper time to send the card would be within a couple of weeks after the couple announces their engagement news. If you wait too long, your congratulations may be perceived as an afterthought. Sending an engagement card around the couple's wedding date, for example, wouldn't be appropriate.
Short & Simple Ways to Congratulate an Engagement
Not every engagement message needs to be long or overflowing with emotion. Sometimes it's more appropriate to keep things short, sweet, and simple. These messages are especially apt for co-workers, neighbours, newer friends, and other people that you're still getting to know or have a more professional relationship with:
- Congratulations on your engagement! I'm so happy for you.
- Wishing you both a wonderful future together.
- You're getting married! Congrats!
- So thrilled to hear the amazing news.
- Congratulations to the beautiful couple!
- Best wishes for a fun and fulfilling life together.
- Congrats from my family to yours!
- Haven't stopped smiling since you told me the news.
- I'm so excited for you to begin this new journey.
- Congrats! You deserve all the happiness in the world.
- I'm so glad you've found your soulmate.
Engagement Wishes & Quotes for a Friend
If your message is intended for a close friend, you don't have to worry about it being overly long, too emotional, or even too silly. Your note should, once again, be appropriate for the type of friendship you have. Some friends may prefer something heartfelt, while others may appreciate some playful teasing. In any case, here are some ideas that are sure to bring a smile to their face:
- Took you long enough! Now try your best not to mess this up.
- Congratulations! Wait, where'd you get the money for that ring?!
- As the person who introduced the two of you, I'd like to express my sincerest apologies to your beautiful bride-to-be.
- I called it from the start, didn't I? I'm so incredibly happy for both of you.
- I'm so glad you found someone as awesome and weird as you are.
- So thrilled to hear about your engagement. I hope we can celebrate together in person ASAP.
- I'm always here to give you love and support as you plan your fairytale wedding.
- You're one of my favourite people in this world. Knowing that you found someone who truly appreciates you gives me so much joy.
- You've been a thoughtful, generous, and loving friend to me all these years. You deserve all the love you're experiencing right now.
- “All you need is love, love. Love is all you need.” (The Beatles)
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” (Audrey Hepburn)
- “Love is the longing for the half of ourselves we have lost.” (Milan Kundera)
- “There is no remedy for love but to love more.” (Henry David Thoreau)
- “Love is a friendship set to music.” (Joseph Campbell)
Engagement Wishes & Quotes for a Brother or Sister
You have a lot of freedom when writing an engagement message for your brother or sister. Depending on your relationship with this sibling, there are multiple routes you can take. If you're close with both them and their partner, there's nothing wrong with some teasing. However, it's also fine to offer heartfelt quotes and messages. Here are a few examples:
- I can't believe my baby brother is getting married. I'm so proud of you.
- Sending so much love to my amazing older sister. So happy you found someone who sees how special you are.
- The fact that you found someone willing to put up with you gives the rest of us singles hope. Thank you and congrats!
- So happy to hear the great news...mostly because we'd been placing bets on when you'd finally propose. Tell Dad he owes me £10.
- Glad to finally have you taken off our hands. Best of luck to your beautiful and patient bride-to-be.
- I know you're a bride-to-be now, but you'll always be my kid sister. Love you.
- There's so much excitement and adventures yet to come for you both. I can't wait for you to begin this journey.
- Congrats! I don't want to sound impatient, but how long am I going to have to wait for nieces and nephews?
- “Marriage has no guarantees. If that’s what you’re looking for, go live with a car battery.” (Erma Bombeck)
- “May this marriage be full of laughter, our every day in paradise.” (Rumi)
- “It’s easy to fall in love. The hard part is finding someone to catch you.” (Bertrand Russell)
- “To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.” (David Viscott)
- “If you have respect and consideration for one another, you’ll make it.” (Mary Durso)
Engagement Wishes & Quotes for a Son or Daughter
When writing an engagement card for your child, you may want your message to be more sentimental rather than generic or humorous. As their parent, it's also appropriate for you to offer advice and express your pride in your message. Please note, you can easily swap out the gendered words in these messages to suit your loved one and their partner.
- I'm so proud of the person you've become. I know you'll continue to be a kind and loving partner to your future spouse.
- You deserve all the happiness you're feeling right now. I'm so overwhelmed with love for both you and your bride-to-be.
- We're so thrilled to welcome a new daughter into our family. Sending so much love and well wishes to both of you.
- My heart is full. I can't express how happy I am that you've found someone who loves you the way you deserve to be loved.
- Marriage isn't always easy, but it's one of the greatest and most fulfilling journeys you can take in life. Congratulations.
- You two bring out the best in each other. We know that marriage will help you grow into an even more loving and courageous person.
- We're over the moon to hear about your incredible news. Remember, we're always just a phone call away if you ever need advice or support over the coming months.
- "The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.” (Eden Ahbez)
- "Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile." (Franklin P. Jones)
- “In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing.” (Mignon McLaughlin)
- "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” (Lao Tzu)
- "Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.” (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
How to Sign Off an Engagement Card
Now that you've figured out what to write in an engagement card, how do you sign off on your engagement message? You can keep things simple here — just try to avoid repeating sentiments you've already expressed in your message. If you've already given your well wishes in the message, for example, ending the card with "best wishes" would be redundant.
- Lots of love,
- Best of luck!
- Warmest congratulations,
- All the best,
- Sending hugs,
- Your friend,
- Best wishes,
- Love always,
- Well wishes,
A Flowercard Is the Perfect Way to Celebrate an Engagement
What better way to say congratulations than with Flowercard's personalised engagement flowers and cards? Our gifts consist of gorgeous hand-arranged miniature bouquets made up of fresh flowers, including lilacs, roses, carnations, veronicas, chrysanthemums, and more. The flowers are placed in a beautiful display box, which makes for a lovely keepsake.
We can print your custom message directly onto the display box or a swing tag. In either case, we'll ensure that your engagement message is fully legible and highly visible. It's guaranteed to make your loved one's day extra special!
Have any questions about our popular engagement gifts? Our highly trained personal shopping assistants are here to offer all the answers and advice you need. You can get in touch with us by calling 0344 482 4422 between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the weekend or during the week from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. We'd be happy to hear from you.