There's nothing quite like a birthday to make us appreciate how special our friends are to us. That being said, a friend's birthday also comes with a lot of pressure. What card should you get them? What sort of birthday message should you write on that card? The Flowercard team is here to help.
Every year, we see thousands of messages sent with our personalised birthday cards and flowers and we’ve taken the time to compile a list that we’re pretty sure will inspire you.
When writing a birthday message for a friend, you first need to determine what sort of tone you'd like to take.
Whether you opt for something comedic or something more sentimental, you can count on us for some great suggestions.
Even if you don't end up using one of our birthday wishes word for word, they'll at least serve as great inspiration!
Sentimental Birthday Wishes for a Friend
For some of us, telling people how much we care about them in person can be a bit awkward. That's why cards are the perfect opportunity to tell a friend how special they are to you and the impact they've had on your life. We hope these sentimental birthday messages for a friend articulate some of the feelings that you're not sure how to express.
- Today I'm reminded of all the laughter you've brought into my life. I'm so grateful to be your friend. Happy birthday!
- Please take some time today to reflect on all the amazing things you've accomplished this past year.
- I'm so proud to be your friend, and I can't wait to see what you do with another trip around the sun.
- You're so generous and caring towards others. I hope you're treating yourself today and doing the things you want to do.
- Feeling so lucky to have spent another great year as your friend. Here's to many, many more.
- You deserve the absolute best. Not just on your birthday but all the other 364 days of the year as well.
- Our friendship only grows stronger and more special to me with each passing year. Wishing you the happiest of birthdays.
- You're one of my favourite people in the whole world. I can't wait to see you again soon.
- I hope every single one of your birthday wishes and desires come true today. You deserve it.
Funny Birthday Wishes for a Friend
Sentimental birthday wishes are very nice and loving, but that may not be the right approach for some friendships. The fact is, some people show that they care about someone by teasing and joking around with them. If you know that the recipient will have a laugh at your/their expense, we recommend going for one of these funny birthday card messages for a friend.
- You, my friend, are just like wine. You get finer with age and I love spending my weekends with you!
- Is it your birthday again? You don't look a day over [incorrect age]!
- Against my better judgement, I consider you one of my dearest friends. I hope your birthday is as loud and wacky as you are.
- I'm convinced that you're making up birthdays to get cake and attention. Here's a card anyway in case I'm wrong.
- There's no money in this card. There is, however, a loving message from one of your prettiest and coolest friends. Wishing you a fantastic birthday!
- Wow, you're still chugging along, huh? Impressive.
- I wish I could be there to celebrate your birthday with you. All I ask is that you eat lots of cake on my behalf.
- I was going to tease you for being old until I remembered we were the same age!
- Wait, how old?! Please remember to eat your greens and take your vitamins.
- Thank you for being born before me and making me feel young by comparison.
- I hope you live to be so old that your glasses become less of an accessory and more a medical necessity.
- The light generated by your birthday cake could illuminate the Roman Colosseum.
- That's right, an actual card. I didn't even need Facebook to remind me!
- Happy birthday to one of the five people I actually like on this planet.
- Better late than never, right? Right? Thinking of you on this very special day after your special day.
- I'm so jealous. Only a few more years and you'll be eligible for that sweet senior discount at the movies.
Birthday Quotes for Friends
There's an almost endless supply of birthday quotes out there. Where our own words fail us, the words of others definitely come in handy! This is especially true if the quote comes from someone your friend admires or looks up to in any way.
Here are some standout birthday quotes for friends. Some are funny, some are insightful, and some are a bit of both.
- "The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age." (Lucille Ball)
- "Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter." (Mark Twain)
- "Every year on your birthday, you get a chance to start new." (Sammy Hagar)
- "Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you’ve got to start young." (Fred Astaire)
- "You are only young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime." (John P. Grier)
- "Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed." (Charles Schulz)
- "The great thing about getting older is you don't lose all the other ages you've been." (Madeleine L'Engle)
- “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” (Oprah Winfrey)
- “Men are like wine: some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age.” (Pope John XXIII)
- “As you get older, three things happen: The first is your memory goes, and I can’t remember the other two.” (Norman Wisdom)
Of course, not all quotes are attributed to a famous poet, novelist, comedian, or historical figure. Some of the best and most well-known quotes come from anonymous or unknown sources, including:
- “Age is merely the number of years the world has been enjoying you. Happy birthday!”
- “At least you’re not as old as you will be next year.”
- “Someone I love was born today.”
- "Birthdays are nature's way of telling us to eat more cake."
Short Birthday Wishes for a Friend
Would you rather keep your birthday wishes short and sweet? Sometimes we can say more with fewer words. Plus, we know that long and super emotional messages may not be for everyone. That's why we've written out some kind and thoughtful birthday wishes for friends that are still short enough to fit on the tiniest cards.
- Hope your birthday's as amazing as you are!
- Wishing you joy and lots of cake on this special day.
- I'm fashionably late as always! Happy belated birthday!
- Congratulations on another great year.
- I hope your birthday wish comes true!
- You make the world brighter just by being you.
- Thank you for being a loving and generous friend.
- Hope your birthday is the best one yet.
- Another year closer to retirement! Congrats.
- Sending you lots of warm birthday wishes on this special day.
- Always in my thoughts. Wishing you a birthday of love and happiness.
- I hope you know just how loved and appreciated you are today.
- Happy to share this extra special day with you.
- Commemorating your birth and celebrating your amazing life today.
- May you be wiser, happier, and healthier in this new year of life.
- Missing you so much today. I can’t wait to see you again to celebrate.
- Remember to make a wish when you blow out your candles!
- Hope you’re spending the day laughing and dancing your cares away.
- I know you’ll only grow wiser and more beautiful with age, my friend.
Birthday Prayers for Friends
A birthday prayer is a wonderful way to show someone you care and are thinking about them on their special day. The suggestions below apply to various religions but the sentiments are very similar. You can easily alter each one to suit the religion and religious denomination of you and your friend.
- Happy birthday! Today we celebrate the beautiful life God has given you.
- Wishing you a happy birthday and a year filled with blessings!
- May the Lord bless you on this very special day.
- I pray that God continues to bless you on this special day and every day to come.
- Happy birthday, my treasured friend. May you remain blessed as one of God’s children.
- Feeling so deeply blessed to be your friend on this day. May our Lord continue to protect you in this new year of life.
- My birthday wish for you is that you’re surrounded by kindness, happiness, and the grace of our God.
- I’m reflecting today on the countless blessings that you’ve brought upon my life. I hope your day is at least half as special as you are.
- I pray with all my heart that Allah blesses you with integrity, courage, and greatness in this life.
- Every new year of life has its ups and downs. May the light of Allah guide you through the trials and bless you with courage.
- Happy birthday, my dear friend. I'm so grateful Allah has blessed us all with your life.
- I pray to God Vishnu to bring you joy and luck on this special day.
- May Lord Ganesha bless you with happiness on this day and all the days to come.
Birthday Wishes for Your Best Friend
Knowing that someone considers you their best friend is a pretty amazing feeling. What better day to remind someone that they're your number one than on their birthday? If you'd like to pass this message along to your best friend on their special day, we recommend these birthday wishes!
- I'm proud to call you my best friend. I hope you have an incredible birthday that's worthy of you and the light you bring to this world!
- My platonic soulmate! My better half! My partner in crime! Sending so much love and well wishes to my very best friend.
- Happy birthday to my very best friend. No matter what this year brings, please know that I've always got your back.
- Wishing you love, joy, and laughter on your birthday. Thank you for being an amazing best friend.
- You've always been there for me and I'll always be here for you. Sending you love and well wishes.
- You know me like nobody else, yet you choose to be my best friend anyway! I'm so grateful to call you my best friend.
- How many years have we been best friends? It's hard to keep track. All I know is each year gets better and better!
- Wishing my best friend a happy and healthy birthday.
- You know you're my best friend, right? I assume the feeling is mutual. Happy birthday to the best best friend I've ever had.
- Wishing I could spend this day drinking, laughing, and celebrating with my best friend. Can't wait to see you again.
- Happy belated birthday from your loving but forgetful best friend.
A Flowercard Is the Perfect Way to Wish Your Friend Happy Birthday
Now that you know what to write in a birthday card for a friend, what's the perfect way to deliver one of these birthday wishes? Your friend will love receiving your message with an arrangement of Flowercard's personalised birthday flowers. These hand-arranged miniature bouquets are full of colour and boast an array of gorgeous fresh flowers, including veronicas, carnations, lilacs, calla lilies, roses, chrysanthemums, and more.
Your custom message is included with the arrangement by being printed on a beautiful display box or a swing tag. Standard cards truly pale in comparison to one of Flowercard's bright, eye-catching, and beautifully smelling arrangements. We're confident that your friend will be very touched to receive one.