Which houseplants are the most viewed on TikTok?
TikTok is the latest social media platform taking the world by storm. And much like other social media platforms such as Instagram, it hasn’t left the houseplant trend behind. The app clocks up millions of views of our favourite houseplants as people show off their plant babies and share tips on how to take care of them.
But which houseplant is the most popular on TikTok? Our fresh flower delivery specialists wanted to find out just that, so we did a little research to find out and also to see how our TikTok faves compare to the world’s most Instagrammed houseplants.
The top three most viewed houseplants on TikTok
- Cactus (Cactaceae) - 805,541,600 views By far the most viewed houseplant on TikTok is the cactus. Keeping tropical plants can be a struggle here in the UK as they generally need a humid atmosphere to grow, but that’s not the case when it comes to cacti, which thrive in dry air and average room temperatures. Not only are they super easy to keep, but cacti can sometimes surprise you with vibrant blooms alongside their recognisable spiny texture.
- Lavender (Lavandula) - 288,743,500 views Vibrantly purple with a strong, refreshing fragrance, one of the most easily recognisable plants around, Lavender, is the second-most viewed houseplant on TikTok. Commonly associated with purity, devotion, serenity, and calmness, this versatile herb is super beneficial to have around your home as it has a whole bunch of medicinal, aesthetic, and culinary purposes. If someone you love is navigating a tricky time, you can let them know you're thinking of them with the relaxing and calming properties of fresh, fragrant lavender in our Healing Meadow letterbox flower card.
- Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea muscipula) - 243,000,000 views The deeply interesting and carnivorous plant, the Venus Fly Trap, takes third spot on our list. This insect-eating plant has received 243,000,000 views on TikTok as owners of the perennial plants show off videos of them feeding the plant live bugs like flies for a meal. When an insect or spider comes crawling along the leaves and contacts a trigger hair, the trap prepares to close, snapping shut only if another contact occurs within approximately twenty seconds of the first strike. The plant will only begin digestion after five more stimuli to ensure it has caught a live bug worthy of consumption.
The world’s most viewed houseplants on TikTok
- Cactus (Cactaceae) - 805,541,600 views
- Lavender (Lavandula) - 288,743,500 views
- Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea muscipula) - 243,000,000 views
- Money Tree (Pachira Aquatica) - 48,850,400 views
- Snake Plant (Sansevieria Zeylanica) - 46,900,184 views
- Fiddle Leaf Fig (Ficus Lyrata) - 34,600,000 views
- Swiss Cheese Plant (Monstera Deliciosa) - 22,079,700 views
- ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas Zamiifolia) - 9,635,800 views
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum Sweet Lauretta) - 9,600,000 views
- String of Pearls (Senecio Rowleyanus) - 9,500,000 views
TikTok is the perfect place to head if you’re looking for tips and tricks on how to look after your houseplants, with creators such as Reagan Kastner, the self-proclaimed “Queen of Houseplants” sharing hacks on how to take care of your own houseplants.
We used an extensive list of house plants from Hortology.co.uk to source the botanical and common names for these plants. Using this list, we then searched for TikTok hashtags, using both the botanical and common names, and taking a total number of views on posts across both names, giving us our ranking. Views data is correct as of 12th May 2021.