When considering what to write in a thank you card, focus on a few details. Though a general message of gratitude is always welcome, the most effective thank you card messages are personal and specific. They can be brief, but they should say something that is meaningful to the recipient — and to you. When you recognise a person in a specific, thoughtful way, they feel that what they’ve done, said, or gifted has been, literally, noteworthy. It makes a person aware that you’re actively thinking about them and that they’ve added value in some way to your life.
When Should You Send A Thank You Card?
In short, you should send a thank you card when you want to let someone know that you appreciate them. Thank you cards are usually inspired by an act of kindness or generosity. We send thank you cards for:
- The loan of something useful
- A bit of helpful advice
- The sharing of important knowledge or information
- A business or personal introduction
- Attendance at an event
- A charitable donation
- Help with a chore
Less often, we thank a person for something more ambiguous. For example, we want to let a person know that a meaningful moment we shared has impacted us in a positive way. Or, we want to express acknowledgement for someone’s everyday kindness and love. Anything that makes you feel like saying "thank you" can be an occasion to do so. Some of the most treasured expressions of thanks are the ones that thank a person for just being who they are.
What to Say In A Thank You Card
If you’re wondering what to write in a thank you card, consider author Cynthia Ozick’s observation: “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” And sometimes, it’s the intangible things that we take most for granted (and that make us most grateful). You might even send a thank you for a thank you if it really made your day. Thank you card messages are more than an act of politeness. They’re an opportunity to say, “I see you.”
In Zululand, South Africa, a common way to greet someone is to say “Sawubona,” which means “I see you.” In today’s overstimulated, on-the-go whirlwind of a world, it isn’t often that we feel "seen" in a heartfelt way. When someone takes the time to stop and share this kind of sentiment, it’s an act of kindness in itself. It makes us feel significant.
A thank you note — a physical card or token that a person can hold in their hand — can relay that feeling. In a tangible way, it endows the recipient with the knowledge that they, or something they’ve done, is truly thought about. And it can be most fun to do when you know they’re not expecting a thank you. As Voltaire said, “Appreciation is a wonderful thing: it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” In other words, sincere, heartfelt thank you card messages can make both the sender and recipient feel good.
Below are some ideas for what to write in a thank you card.
Short & Sweet Ways To Say Thank You
Sometimes, a short, sweet thank you conveys all you need to say. It doesn’t have to be humdrum, though. Make it sound like you. Here are a few ideas:
- Thanks a million!
- So grateful for you.
- You’re the coolest of the cool. Thank you!
- Much obliged.
- Thanks, y’all!
- How can I ever thank you?
- Thanks to you...
- Thanks a bunch.
- Cheers, mate!
- Thank you ever so much.
- Nice one!
- You’re the tops!
Thank You Wishes To Show General Gratitude & Appreciation
There are people in our lives that gift us every day — with their words, their support, their humour, their time, their wisdom. And then there are those people we can just be our total selves with. Who wouldn’t be thankful for that?
Here are some ideas for thank you card messages where a special occasion isn’t required:
- I’m so glad you’re part of my world.
- Thank you for trusting me. It means so much.
- It’s an honour to be your friend. Thank you for remembering me.
- It’s always a pleasure to work with you. Thank you for all your help.
- Thanks for keeping me awake during those late-night work sessions. We did a great job together!
- Thank you for all of your advice. It’s helped me put things into perspective. I'll let you know what I decide to do.
- Thank you for listening to me. I feel valued, and that means a lot.
- Thanks for your confidence in me. It makes me believe in myself more.
- I know how hard it was for you to say what you did. I will always be grateful for it.
- I don’t know what I would have done without you today. Thank you for being there.
- Blimey! You really surprised me today. Thank you for being the weirdest bloke I know.
- Thanks for taking my side. I’m grateful that you believe in me.
Thank You Wishes Following A Gift
Sending a thank you card for a gift can be an act of courtesy and politeness — or it can be a gift in and of itself. When thanking someone for a gift that you truly like or find useful, let the person know why you like it or what it will be (or has already been) used for. Thank you cards are most enjoyed when they’re put into context:
- This gift shows that you know me really well. Thank you for the wonderful thought. I love it.
- Your gift will be part of our patio renovation fund. We can’t wait to invite you over to enjoy a barbecue with us.
- I loved every gift at my birthday party, but yours really stands out. I look forward to using it every day.
- Thank you so much for the theatre tickets. The show was so much fun. We’re still singing!
- What you gave me is more than a present. It is truly a gift, and so are you.
- Thank you for the great big wad of cash. Per your instructions, it will be used for something fun!
- Thank you for the generous gift card. I’ve already used it. My new awesome smartwatch is on the way! You’ll be my first phone call.
- I can’t believe you remembered! Thank you for the very thoughtful gift. It’s perfect!
- Thank you for coming out to volunteer and for your generous donation. We look forward to adding your name to our wall of honour.
- Thank you for the book. I started reading it last night. When I’m done, let’s get together for lunch and book-talk.
- Thank you for the beautiful housewarming gift. We’ve already hung it up and it looks sensational.
- Thank you for the gifts you give me every day — your time, your attention, your humour, your love. Thank you.
Thank You Wishes For Kindness & Hospitality
Be it ever so humble, sometimes there’s no place like someone else’s home. Been couch-hopping lately? Stayed with a relative or family friend to save hotel money on a business trip? Borrowed a mate’s car to get to a job interview? When someone’s hospitality has made your life easier or more convenient, let them know just how much they’ve helped you. Below are ideas that may inspire you:
- Thank you for having all of us. I know that we’re a handful. We had a ton of fun, though. Come visit us soon!
- Thank you for letting me stay at your place and for making me feel so comfortable. P.S.: I got the job.
- Thanks for the wonderful dinner. I loved hearing stories about Grandma and Grandpa and the old days. Next time, I’m taking you out.
- Thanks for letting us borrow your apartment. It made the weekend perfect.
- Thank you for allowing me the use of your car. It saved a lot of time and money and made all the difference in the day going smoothly.
- Thank you for letting me stay at your place. You have the most comfortable couch in the whole world! I seriously haven’t slept so well in a long time.
- Thanks for inviting me to the premiere. I will never forget it. It was an amazing experience and a fabulous show!
- Thank you for being one of the nicest people I’ve ever known. Just wanted to say that.
- Thank you for coming to the party. Your impromptu "magic show" was so much fun. It made the evening unforgettable.
- Thank you for introducing me to your colleague. We had a great conversation and it looks like she’ll be hiring me to do some consulting work. Please let me know if you’re free for dinner this week so I can thank you again.
- Thank you for watching the pups. They haven’t stopped raving about their fun weekend with you.
- Thank you for the cup of flour. Dinner went well, and the pie was a big hit!
Thank You Wishes For A Teacher
“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” —William Arthur Ward
There are countless ways that teachers shape our lives. When you have a teacher who stands out in some special way to you, thank them by letting them know why. Here are some thoughts:
- This past year has been a challenge. Thank you for keeping me interested and learning from home!
- Thank you for all you did for us this year. You did a great job juggling us students — in class and online. Thanks for keeping us learning and growing, and for making it fun. I hope you get a lot of rest this summer.
- Thank you for making me feel smart. You’re the first teacher that’s done that. I love coming to your class!
- Thank you for being tough on me. I learned a lot this year, especially about myself.
- You’re the best teacher because you’re MY teacher!
- Thank you for believing in me. You make me feel like I can achieve something real.
- Thank you for helping me make friends in class. I really love this school!
- I’m so glad you’re my teacher. You are funny and super-smart. And you only yell at us when you absolutely have to.
- I didn’t use to like school, but this year I love it. Thank you for making me want to learn.
- Thank you for not being boring. I hardly ever fall asleep in your class!
- Thank you for teaching me how to write this! Sincerely, Your Student
- I want to be a teacher because of you.
How To Sign Off A Thank You Card
When signing a thank you card, it’s a nice touch to add a thought that will stick with them throughout the day. How you sign a thank you card mostly depends on what you’ve written. A lengthy, descriptive card might not call for more than restating the words ‘thank you.’ With a shorter card, the sign-off gives another opportunity to add a detail or two to make the message more personal.
- Thank you so much again.
- We won’t forget how much you’ve done for us. We love and appreciate you more than you know.
- Again, many thanks, and please stay in touch.
- Thank you again for all your help. I’ll let you know how it works out.
- Please know that the time you’ve given to this project has made a world of difference.
- In gratitude, I’ll remember the stories you’ve shared.
- I hope this thank you card makes your day as you made mine.
- Thanks again for your generosity. We look forward to inviting you over to help us enjoy our brand-new hot tub!
- Thank you again for the wonderful gift. I’ll think of you when I use it. Wish me luck!
- Thank you again. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do for you.
- We are indebted to you.
- Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! With love from all of us.
A Flowercard Is The Perfect Way To Say Thank You
As motivational speaker William Arthur Ward observed, “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” Flowercard knows that a beautiful, colourful expression of thanks can make a recipient’s day brighter. At Flowercard, we offer a smashing selection of customisable thank you cards packaged with eye-popping, sweet-smelling, sensational floral twists. Our exquisite thank you bouquet gifts come in a variety of colours and arrangements, from vibrant and vivid to soft and subtle. Offerings include both seasonal and year-round flowers. Choose what speaks to you!
Unique Flowercard gifts are bound to surprise and please anyone who receives one. Just as you remember what they’ve given you, they’ll remember such a special thank you. As the Dalai Lama said, “The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.” What better way to say thank you than to send a gift of flowers from appreciation’s soil? Best of all, your Flowercard gift will be hand-delivered.
Every Flowercard is accompanied by a card designed to complement the floral selection. Each card is customisable with your personal thank you card messages.
Recognise people in a way that they’ll treasure. The bottom line is, what to write in a thank you card is up to you.
Who would you like to thank today? Get inspired. Check out our assortment of Thank You Flowers and our full line of floral gifts for all occasions. And thank you for visiting Flowercard. We know that you’re busy and we appreciate your stopping by to learn about us. We look forward to making your day, too!