So you’ve found the perfect birthday card for your mum – maybe it’s a Flowercard (more on that later). Now here comes the hard part: adding a warm, heartfelt, personal message. While some people have no trouble knowing what to write in a birthday card for their mum, many others struggle to get beyond “Happy Birthday.” It’s not always easy to express your feelings. For most of us, inspiration isn’t a switch we can turn on or off whenever we like.
Take heart! In this guide, we have many ideas to help you find the right words. Soon, you’ll be crafting meaningful birthday wishes that put a smile on your mum’s face. She may even shed a tear or two, out of happiness, of course. On the other hand, she might laugh out loud if you’re lucky enough to hit her funny bone.
To make things easy for you, we’ve divided our mum birthday card messages into different categories. We know all mums are not the same, and the mother-child relationship is different for everyone. That’s partly why it’s difficult for many of us to write a birthday message that hits the sweet spot. You can select from the appropriate category or even mix and match to get your message just right. We hope you find the inspiration you need here. Oh, and Happy Birthday to your mum!
Sentimental Birthday Wishes for Mum
Do you get a bit emotional when you think about your mum? If the answer is “yes,” then maybe a sentimental birthday message is the best choice for you. There are different degrees of lovey-dovey sentimentality, so we’ve included a variety of heartfelt birthday wishes ranging from an outpouring of emotions to milder expressions of deep affection. Some of the wishes rhyme, while others are free-form.
- How can I ever thank you? You’ve been my rock right from the start. Please know I’m eternally grateful and I love you with all my heart.
- Happy Birthday to my darling Mum. I love you more and more as time goes by. You mean the world to me. Wishing you a joyful birthday.
- I know we have a special bond. Our love is precious and rare. You’ll always be my Mum and friend. Thank you for being there.
- Happy Birthday to my one-and-only Mum. You’re the best, it’s true. Keep this in a special place to remind you I love you.
- Happy Birthday, Mum. Thanks for giving me wings to fly. Thanks for being you. Thanks for all the kindness and support. Your love will see me through.
- Your birthday is the perfect time to tell you how much I cherish you. Thanks Mum for all your love and care and all the things you do.
- Dear Mum, I don’t know what I would do without you. I know that whatever’s going on in my life, you’ll always be there for me. Wishing you a fabulous day and a wonderful year to come.
- Let’s celebrate your birthday – it’s a very special day. My life is blessed with a lovely Mum, who’s special in every way.
- Wishing you a birthday as heartwarming as your love and as sweet as your smile.
- Mum, I love you more than words can say. Wishing you an amazing day.
You could also share a treasured memory of your mum: “I’m still in awe of your multi-skilling talents – getting us off to school, holding down a job and keeping us fed. You were, and still are, an incredible Mum.”
Funny Birthday Wishes for Mum
If you know your mum likes a good laugh, then why not try to make her giggle? Here are some funny lines you can steal.
- Happy Birthday, Mum. Hoping we can keep driving each other crazy for many years to come!
- Wishing you a birthday full of wining and dining to make up for the whining and dining you endured when I was younger.
- To my amazing Mama Bear. Life would be un-bear-able without you!
- Happy Birthday to my beautiful, clever and witty Mum. Thanks for giving me your genes!
- Happy Birthday from your favourite son/daughter. No need to sign my name, right?
- A birthday treat is a must today. I’ll settle for a vegan kebab – don’t go out of your way!
- Forget about the past, it’s over! Forget about the future, it hasn’t happened yet. Forget about the present…like I almost did, whoops! Happy Birthday, Mum.
- Sorry you have to put up with childish tantrums all year round. Maybe Dad can behave himself today on your birthday!
- We have the perfect mother-child relationship. You’re my Mum and I’m perfect!
- Studies show quite clearly that the more birthdays you have, the longer you live. Let’s just say, you’re a year closer to getting a letter from the Queen.
- I bought a delicious bottle of wine for your birthday. It went down very nicely! I thought about you after each sip, though!
- Thanks to a Mum who’s perfect in every way. Except for your French and your singing and maybe your D-I-Y skills!
- Thanks for looking after me when I was a kid. If you’d left it up to Dad, I can’t imagine how I would have turned out!
- It’s your birthday. Today’s the day you can act your shoe size, not your age.
- You could also share a funny memory of your mum. Keep it short and sweet, though. “I’ll never forget that time we went to France and you asked that poor Frenchman where the station was – only you accidentally said “war” instead of “station”!”
Birthday Quotes for Mum
Does your mum like reading? Why not borrow a quote from a famous writer? Here’s a selection of inspiring mother-related quotes from some of the world’s best-loved novelists, poets and playwrights.
- "He didn’t realise that love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves its own mark." – J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
- "I am sure that if the mothers of various nations could meet, there would be no more wars." – E.M. Forster, Howards End
- "To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colours of a rainbow." – Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- "And all my mother came into mine eyes And gave me up to tears." – William Shakespeare, Henry V
- "All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his." Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
- “No mother is ever, completely, a child's idea of what a mother should be, and I suppose it works the other way around as well. But despite everything, we didn't do too badly by one another, we did as well as most.” –Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale
- "It's a funny thing about mothers... Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful." – Roald Dahl, Matilda
- “My love for my mother is like an axe. It cuts very deep." – Deborah Levy, Hot Milk
- "I am homesick, free, in love with the way my mother speaks." – Carol Ann Duffy, The Way My Mother Speaks
Birthday Poems for Mum
If you'd like to impress your mum with a little poetry, here are a few rhymes you can borrow.
Poem 1 Happy Birthday, Mum I’m so happy you are you I’m also very grateful For all the things you do. Let’s celebrate this special day With love, laughter and cake Family time is special time With the merriment we make.
Poem 2 Happy Birthday to a special Mum. You’re a joy to be around. Hugs and kisses to you. You deserve a crown.
Poem 3 When I think about you I always start to smile. Happy Birthday to you Mum Let’s celebrate in style. This year I want to thank you For everything you do Live it up on your big day And remember I love you.
Poem 4 You’re unique, you’re creative You love to have some fun. Birthday wishes to a woman Who I’m proud to call my Mum.
Poem 5 You have a kind heart. You’re honest and true. You’re the world’s best mum, And I love you.
Poem 6 Dear Mum, I want you to know, I think of you, wherever I go. You give me love, whatever I do. I’m lucky to have someone like you. Today is a day to celebrate. So raise your glass, fill your plate. What you've given me, I can never repay. Thank you, Mum, on your (38th, 55th, etc.) birthday!
Short Birthday Wishes for Mum
Sometimes, it's good to keep things short and simple. Here are some shorter messages that don't mince words.
- Extra special birthday wishes for an extra special Mum.
- You deserve a day as wonderful as you. Happy Birthday, Mum!
- Sit back, relax and put your feet up. It’s your birthday! We’ll do all the work today!
- Happy Birthday, Mum. You always made my birthdays so much fun. Now it’s your turn.
- Have a wonderful day, Mum, filled with love, laughter and cake!
- Happy Birthday, Mum. Today and always, may all your wishes come true!
- I’m sending this card just for you. I wish you happiness today and all year through.
- May your day be blooming with love and laughter. Happy Birthday, Mum.
- You’ve nurtured me from seed to blossom, thank you Mum. Happy Birthday!
- Enjoy your special day. May love, laughter and happiness always come your way.
- Wishing you a bright and beautiful day, Mum. Happy Birthday!
- If mums were flowers, I’d pick you. Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday Mum, love you lots!
Birthday Prayers for Mum
If your mum has a strong religious faith, then why not send her a birthday prayer or blessing? Here are some classic birthday prayers that are sure to make her feel treasured.
The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace. (Numbers 6:24-26)
May love and laughter Light your days And warm your heart and home; May good and faithful friends be yours Wherever you may roam; May peace and plenty bless your world With joy that long endures; May all life’s passing seasons Bring the best to you and yours! (Traditional Irish Blessing)
I said a prayer for you today And know God must have heard. I felt the answer in my heart, Although He spoke no word. I didn’t ask for wealth or fame, I knew you wouldn’t mind. I asked Him to send treasures Of a far more lasting kind. I asked that He be near you At the start of each new day To grant you health and blessings And friends to share your way. I asked for happiness for you In all things, great and small, But it was for His loving care I prayed for most of all. (Author Unknown)
If you'd prefer a shorter, more personalised prayer, here are three ideas:
On your birthday, I pray that your day is filled with joy and peace, and I give thanks to God for all that you bring to my life.
On your birthday, I thank God that He made you. You have brought so much happiness, laughter, and wisdom into our life. Raising a glass in celebration of you, and sending many best wishes for your birthday.
Today, I thank God for the gift of life. I am so blessed to have you in my life, and I look forward to celebrating many more birthdays together. Happy Birthday, Mum!
Birthday Wishes for Your Step Mum
Not sure how to show your appreciation for your Step Mum on her birthday? Below, you'll find some suggestions.
- Thanks for being part of my life. Happy Birthday to my amazing Step Mum
- Happy Birthday to my wonderful Step Mum who always steps up!
- Happy Birthday to a very special Step Mum. Thanks for always listening and giving me good advice. You’re the best!
- If Step Mums were flowers, I’d pick you! Happy Birthday.
- Wishing a fabulous Step Mum a fabulous day. Thanks for helping me to blossom.
- To my kind and wise Step Mum, wishing you a fantastic birthday!
- Dear Step Mum, thank you for being you! I wish you a happy, fun-filled birthday.
- To my Step Mum and friend, wishing you a joyous day full of love and laughter.
A Flowercard Is The Perfect Way to Wish Your Mum Happy Birthday
The perfect birthday gift for your mum exists in the form of a Flowercard. Flowercards combine the unrivalled beauty of fresh flowers with the charm of an artist-designed card. For the final touch, use the above guide to add a personalised birthday message to the Flowercard so your mum receives your warmest wishes on her special day.
There's an exciting range of Flowercards to choose from, too – each one waiting for your special birthday message. We also have age-specific cards for those milestone birthdays when a big celebration is called for.
So forget about trying to find the perfect scarf or some new kitchen gadget for your mum. Surprise and delight her on her birthday with a gorgeous Flowercard. Explore our offerings today – we’re sure you’ll find the perfect Flowercard to make her day truly memorable. All the best to your mum!