If you’re looking for the perfect place to get a new home with your beau, we’ve taken some of the heavy lifting out of the hunt for you.
Looking at a variety of factors, including the average rent costs and house prices, the cost of two cinema tickets, a three-course meal for two at a mid-range restaurant and many other factors, this research reveals where in the UK is the most affordable for couples to settle down and enjoy their lives together.
The three best cities in the UK for couples
- Telford and Wrekin: Most Affordable City Score 7.33/10
- Newport: Most Affordable City Score 7.2/10
- Cardiff: Most Affordable City Score 7.16/10
The most affordable place for couples to live in the UK, according to our research, is Telford and Wrekin in the Midlands, about 28 miles from Birmingham. Here couples can enjoy a bottle of wine for £4.50 (the cheapest cost throughout the UK), £19 for two cinema tickets and an average asking price of £95,000 for a one-bedroom house.
The second most affordable place for couples to live in is Newport. In the third-largest city in Wales, two cinema tickets will cost you £18 and a three-course meal for two will set you back £45, making for a reasonably priced date night!
Finally, taking the third position on our list is Cardiff. This captivating capital city of Wales could be tempting for couples living together for the first time as the average rental costs here are around £566 for a one-bedroom apartment. A date night out to the cinema is also a steal at £10 for two tickets, one of the cheapest in our research.
At the other end of the scale, Brighton and Hove are the least affordable places for couples to settle down. Here average monthly rental prices for a one-bedroom apartment cost over £930, while the average cost of a one-bedroom house is £220,758.
Check out our complete list below to see if your town or city is affordable for couples to settle down in.
The cheapest and most affordable places for…
Using the top 50 most populated towns and cities in the UK (for which data was available) from ONS estimates of the population for the UK, England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland dataset, we collected data on a variety of factors to determine the most affordable place for couples to live. The data for the following factors were all collected Numbeo:
- Three-course meal for two at a mid-range restaurant
- Bottle of Wine
- Monthly Transport Pass (Regular Price - 2 People) - Using the Monthly Transport Pass cost for one person available, we calculated the cost for two people.
- Cinema Ticket (2 Seats) - Using the cost of 1 cinema ticket, we calculated the cost for two seats.
- Average Rent for 1-bed property - using the average cost for a 1-bed property in the City Centre and the cost of a 1-bed property outside of the City Centre, we were able to get an average rent price for a 1-bed property in the area.
- Annual Gross Pay for Full Time Employees (Male and Female): The figures for both male and female full-time employees were taken from the earnings and hours worked, place of residence by local authority data set from ONS, for which data is available. The annual gross pay for female employees in Brighton and Hove was the one region where this data was not available.
The average price for a 1-bed house was sourced from Zoopla, and all prices are correct as of 24th August 2021. The most affordable city score is calculated by normalising the data and giving each city a score out of ten for each factor before taking an average of all these factors.